The 10MW solar power plant recently launched for construction in the University of Ibadan by the federal government of Nigeria and German government, will give the school these 5 direct benefits:
1. Steady, reliable, and clean electricity supply. No more unnecessary lights out.
2. No more high financial expenditure on diesel to power alternative generators.
3. No more over-estimated electricity bills from Ibadan Disco.
4. Ibadan can set up a special purpose vehicle to sell excess generated power to willing consumers in its environ, using NERC’s expected mini-grid regulation.
5. The school automatically becomes the pioneer centre for renewable energy studies in Nigeria, a platform it can ride on to become Nigeria’s version of Oregon Institute of Technology which is top in the studies of renewable energy.